Earlier this year, New Jersey rock octet The Everymen released a Jonathan Richman covers EP, and then for their sophomore record they enlisted production work by Tom Unish and John Agnello, for an album featuring guest appearances from AC Newman of The New Pornographers and Bob Balch of Fu Manchu. Not bad, right. We’ll the band weren’t content to rest there, appearing with Death and Purling Hiss in New York in July and playing this year’s Hopscotch Music Festival in Raleigh, NC.
Ghettoblaster recently caught up with frontman Michael Venutolo-Mantovani at the end of The Everymen’s incredible year to discuss some other incredible releases that came out this year. This is what he enjoyed in 2013.
Top 14 for ’13
1. ovlov – am (Exploding In Sound)
2. Brother JT – The Sveltness Of Boogitude (Thrill Jockey)
3. Rhye – Woman (Loma Vista)
4. Yo La Tengo – Fade (Matador)
5. Marnie Stern – The Chronicles Of Marnia (Kill Rock Stars)
6. Anna Calvi – One Breath (Domino)
7. Charles Waters Quartet – Chroma Colossus: 13 Visions Of The City (Amish)
8. The Brooklyn What – Hot Wine (self-released)
9. Joel RL Phelps & The Downer Trio – Gala (12XU)
10. Stephen Malkmus And Friends – Ege Bamyasi Record Store Day Exclusive (Matador)
11. King Khan And The Shrines – Idle No More (Merge)
12. Queens Of The Stone Age – …Like Clockwork (Matador)
13. Potty Mouth – Hell Bent (Old Flame)
14. Washed Out – Paracosm (Sub Pop)
Song O The Year
Hop Along – Sister Cities
1. Pick six vs Dallas
2. Pick six vs Chicago
3. Pick six vs Oakland
1. It’s Too Damn Hot!!
2. Oh My Dayum
3. Trumpet Fight
(Watch the video for “Boss Johnny and The Get Lucky” (from the band’s 2012 album New Jersey Hardcore) here!
For more information, visit: